2019 ISPA Board of Directors Application
If you have the experience and desire to lead the ISPA and the spa industry, you are encouraged to apply for board service. The time and energy you give by supporting the association is given back to you in a multitude of ways. You will meet and network with a new group of industry peers while sharing your expertise, all while the board works to further the association and spa industry.
Application and Selection Process
Applications from eligible members are accepted April 1 – 30, 2019. Incomplete applications or applications submitted after April 30, 2019 at 11:59 pm (ET) are not accepted. Once the application closes, candidates are screened for eligibility according to the association bylaws. All eligible applicants are invited to participate in a first interview (via online meeting). After, the Nominations Committee will evaluate the candidates and determine who will be selected for a second interview. Prior to the second interview, candidates may be asked to participate in an assessment conducted by a third party. The committee meets in-person during the month of July to conduct the second interviews, in which the applicant will have the opportunity to speak with the entire committee (also via online meeting). During that time the committee also holds discussion surrounding each candidate and who will best round out the skill set of the current board. In August, the slate of candidates is announced to the ISPA membership with an online ballot for approval. New directors of the ISPA Board take office during the ISPA Conference & Expo.
The primary responsibility of the board is to take a leadership role serving the ISPA membership. The board is comprised of visionary and strategic thinkers who also have an entrepreneurial spirit. Directors serving on the board should be involved and engaged in the association. Regular tasks include reading board materials thoroughly, actively participating in board discussions and following through on commitments. Board service demands integrity and the ability to make nimble decisions.
Director's responsibilities include:
- - Meetings: A minimum of two days’ participation during three board meetings annually. This is in addition to one-week to attend the annual ISPA Conference & Expo. Currently, this includes an out-of-pocket financial commitment to cover expenses.
- - Monthly check-in: Several hours each week to review ISPA business, communications, and board information in addition to multiple conference calls each month.
- - Overall: Being available as/when needed while working a full-time position.
Directors are elected to serve up to a three-year term and may serve two consecutive terms. After two consecutive terms have been served a one-year hiatus must be observed before being eligible to re-apply. Only primary and secondary members are eligible to vote on issues of the association, such as the Board of Directors election.
Meeting dates and locations vary from year to year. Typically meetings take place in the months of January, May and August. Travel expenses and reimbursements are evaluated by the board on an annual basis; however potential applicants should be prepared for the financial commitment to attend meetings. With a limited number of board meetings each year, it is imperative for directors strive to attend each meeting. The board holds itself to a strict attendance policy to ensure all directors remain committed to the association and the duties of the board. In addition, directors must be present for the entire meeting (from call to order to adjournment) to be counted as present.
How to Submit Your Application
- Click on the application button at the bottom of this page and complete the online application.
- Please note, you will also be asked to submit professional references so have that information on-hand.
- Once your application has been received by ISPA, you will receive a receipt confirmation via email within 48 hours.
- The application deadline is by 11:59 pm (EDT) on April 30, 2019. Late applications are not accepted.
- If you experience any technical complications or do not receive a receipt confirmation, please notify Samie Smith on the ISPA staff immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.859.219.3619.
ISPA Nominations Committee
This committee is tasked with evaluating the needs of the current board and proposing the names of nominees to fill the vacancies that occur in the rotation of board members each year. The ISPA Nominations process is a thorough one that has been developed and tweaked over the years to identify high level leadership qualities and attributes. An overview of the process is detailed below. The 2019 ISPA Nominations Committee includes: Sharilyn Abbajay, Frank Pitsikalis (co-chair), Ella Kent, Jean Kolb, Jane Segerberg, Todd Shaw (co-chair), Michael Tompkins, and Deborah Waldvogel. ISPA Chairman, Garrett Mersberger also serves on the committee in an advisory role.