ISPA Innovate Awards
At ISPA, creative spirit and innovative minds do not go unnoticed. The Innovate Awards, presented annually to deserving ISPA members, celebrate innovations happening within the spa industry.
In 2017, ISPA will recognize innovations in the following categories: Experiences, Leadership, Philanthropy, Products, Technology & Equipment and Treatments. Applications are open to all ISPA members until May 12 and winners in each category will be selected by the ISPA membership community. The top-rated submissions in each category will be recognized as ISPA Innovate Award Winners and will be recognized at the 2017 ISPA Conference & Expo.
New for 2017!
ISPA is pleased to announce two new exciting changes to the ISPA Innovate Awards:
- In addition to member organizations having the opportunity to apply for an ISPA Innovate Award, ISPA members may now nominate another ISPA member for this honor. Nominated members will be notified by ISPA and will be asked to submit additional information to be considered.
- Along with the ISPA Innovate Award Winners in each category, ISPA will recognize one winner as the ISPA Innovation of the Year. Voted on by a volunteer committee of ISPA members, this honor will be presented for the first time at the 2017 ISPA Conference & Expo.
ISPA encourages industry leaders with innovative spa initiatives that meet the following criteria to apply:
- To be eligible to receive an Innovate Award, an organization must be a current ISPA member in good standing.
- The innovation being submitted must have been implemented after January 1, 2016.
- The innovation being submitted must fall under one of the following categories:
-Experiences – A workshop, activity, fitness offering, culinary program, etc. that is offered to spa guests.
-Leadership – Creative initiatives that positively impact your company’s employees or work culture.
-Philanthropy – Company initiatives that give back to the community.
-Products – Anything that is made or grown to be sold or used in spas, excluding technology and equipment.
-Technology & Equipment – Innovative technology and equipment being used in the spa industry.
-Treatments – A service offered to spa guests.
How can I nominate someone for an Innovate Award?
You may nominate someone for an Innovate Award by submitting important information about their noteworthy innovation. ISPA staff will contact nominees to notify them of the nomination and request additional information. Nominate someone by clicking here.
How does the voting process work?
After submissions are reviewed for eligibility submissions are distributed to the ISPA membership for voting. The applicants who receive the most votes are honored with an ISPA Innovate Award and recognized at the annual ISPA Conference & Expo.
How will the Innovate Award Winners be notified?
Winners will be notified directly via the contact person provided in the application.
If selected, is a representative of our company required to speak at the ISPA Conference?
ISPA Innovate Award recipients are not required to present their winning innovation at the ISPA Conference & Expo. Select winners may be invited to speak during an ISPA Innovate Session.
Can a member organization submit more than one application?
ISPA members may submit multiple applications in any of the categories, but may only be chosen as the winner of one category.
What is the last day to submit an application or nomination?
All applications and nominations must be submitted by Friday, May 12th.
2016 ISPA Innovate Award Winners
Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat
Spafinder Wellness 365
Eminence Organic Skin Care
Global Wellness Day
Salt of the Earth
Four Seasons Resort O'ahu at Ko Olina
The Spa at Meadowood Napa Valley
2015 ISPA Innovate Award Winners
BodiScience Wellness Center & Spa
Encore Spa at Wynn Las Vegas
Living Earth Crafts
2014 ISPA Innovate Award Winners
- COOLA Suncare, located in San Diego, California
- East Village Spa, located in Des Moines, Iowa
- Glen Ivy Hot Springs Spa, located in Corona, California
- SpaEquip Inc., located in Calistoga, California
- The Spa at the Breakers, located in Palm Beach, Florida
- Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat, located in Tallebudgera Valley, Queensland, Australia
- Montage Resort & Spa, located in Laguna Beach, California
- Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, located in Ojai, California
- Spa Gregorie's, located in Newport Beach, California
- The Spa at Pinehurst, located in Pinehurst, North Carlonia
- Belmond the Inn at Perry Cabin, located in St. Michael, Maryland
- Body Bliss, located in Sedona, Arizona
- Mio Skincare, located in Costa Mesa, California
- Osea Skincare, located in Malibu, California
- ResortSuite, located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2013 ISPA Innovate Award Winners
- Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa, located in Lantana, Florida
- Fayez Spa, located in London, Ontario, Canada
- Four Seasons Maui, located in Kihei, Hawaii
- Glen Ivy Hot Springs, located in Corona, California
- Hiatus Spa + Retreat, located in Dallas, Texas
- Hutchinson Consulting, located in Sonoma, California'
- JW Marriott San Antonio Lantana Spa, located in San Antonio, Texas
- The Marsh, A Center for Balance and Fitness, located in Minnetonka, Minnesota
- The Mirage Spa, located in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Miraval Resort & Spa, located in Tucson, Arizona
- Phytomer Corporation, located in Salt Lake City, Utah
- School of Resort and Hospitality Management at Florida Gulf Coast University, located in Fort Myers, Florida
- Spa 4 the Pink, located in Denver, Colorado
- The Spa at Charleston Place, located in Charleston, South Carolina
- The Spa at the Peabody, located in Orlando, Florida
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1.859.219.3527.
ISPA Recipient Awards
Each year, there are three awards given to individuals at the ISPA Conference & Expo General Sessions, these awards include: ISPA Alex Szekely Humanitarian Award, ISPA Dedicated Contributor Award and the ISPA Visionary Award.
ISPA Alex Szekely Humanitarian Award
The ISPA Alex Szekely Humanitarian Award is named in honor of the late spa pioneer, Alex Szekely. It is designed to recognize an individual who acts as a respected contributor to overall well-being, encouraging the renewal of mind, body and spirit - all of which are characteristics embodied by ISPA members worldwide.
Past Humanitarian Award Recipients:
- 2000 – Dr. Andrew Weil
- 2001 – All ISPA members in honor of 9/11
- 2002 – Alex Szekely (posthumously)
- *Renamed in honor of Alex Szekely, presented to Deborah Szekely on Alex’s behalf
- 2003 – Dr. Kenneth Cooper
- 2004 – Ruth Stricker
- 2005 – Deborah Szekely
- 2006 – Dr. Michael Jacobson
- 2007 – Dr. Maya Angelou
- 2008 – Sir Sidney Poitier
- 2009 – Lance Armstrong
- 2010 – Doc Hendley
- 2011 – Bert Jacobs
- 2012 – Lisa Ling (accepted via video)
- 2013 – Blake Mycoskie
- 2014 – Jewel
- 2015 – Alice Waters
- 2016 – John Ondrasik
ISPA Dedicated Contributor Award
The ISPA Dedicated Contributor Award is given to an active ISPA member who has contributed significantly to the growth of the association. The recipient will have demonstrated leadership and commitment to ISPA and has extensively assisted in the promotion of the association, as well as its mission and vision.
Past Dedicated Contributor Award Recipients:
- 1999 – Richel D’Ambra
- 2000 – Bernie Burt
- 2003 – Jane Segerberg
- 2004 – Peter Sng
- 2005 – Jack Morrison
- 2006 – Gayle Brady
- 2007 – Dr. Jonathan DeVierville
- 2008 – Robin Zill (posthumously)
- 2009 – Pat and Juanita Corbett
- 2010 – John and Karen Korpi
- 2011 – Angela Cortright
- 2012 – John C. Gray
- 2013 – Mary Bemis
- 2014 – Jim Root
- 2015 – Sharilyn AbbajayJean Kolb
- 2016 – Jean Kolb
ISPA Visionary Award
The ISPA Visionary Award is presented each year to someone in the spa industry who has made significant contributions to both the definition and positive movement of health and wellness over the lifetime of their career, a true spa industry visionary.
Past Visionary Award Recipients:
- 1999 – Sheila Cluff
- 2000 – Werner Mendel
- 2003 – Frank Van Putten
- 2004 – Edwin Neill II (posthumously)
- 2005 – John and Ginny Lopis
- 2006 – Sylvia Sepielli
- 2007 – Clodagh Aubry
- 2008 – Robin Zill (posthumously)
- 2009 – Dr. Howard Murad
- 2010 – Deborah Szekely
- 2011 – Not Awarded
- 2012 – Susie Ellis
- 2013 – Horst Rechelbacher (accepted via video)
- 2014 – Jane Iredale
- 2015 – Boldijarre Koronczay
- 2016 – Geraldine Howard