The International SPA Association Foundation is the 501(c)3 foundation of the International SPA Association and was created in 1999 to serve the educational and research needs of the spa industry. The ISPA Foundation's mission is to improve and enhance the value of the spa experience; its vision is to advance spa culture to sustain health and well-being.
Improve and enhance the value of the spa experience.
Advance spa culture to sustain health and well-being.
The purpose of the ISPA Foundation is:
- To promote the public welfare through the advancement of physical fitness, medical and wellness care, and professional spa services;
- To encourage, provide for, and engage in professional study and research related to lifestyle and health enhancement from physical fitness, dietary practices, spa services, and educational programs and scholarship programs;
- To improve the quality and increase the availability of professional spa services, medical and wellness care, conventional and complementary therapies and treatments, and related educational programs.
- Visionary leadership that is always open to new ideas
- Integrity evidenced by ethical, honest and credible behavior
- Nurturing the wellness of society and the environment
- Commitment to spa management as a profession
- Establish the Foundation as the educational source for the spa industry.
- Establish definitive research validating spa industry-related topics.
- Create an endowment that sustains the Foundation in perpetuity.
The ISPA Foundation works to extend and promote a healing touch to communities around the world using new and innovative methods. By supporting and funding forward-thinking individuals and organizations, the foundation establishes new initiatives that will enhance health and wellness.
The ISPA Foundation has begun the process of instituting a full-fledged spa management curriculum for institutions of higher learning, several of which have already adopted the introductory text for use in a comprehensive spa management course. Click here to view all the tools and textbooks created by the Foundation.
ISPA Foundation Mary Tabacchi Scholarship
Central to our investment in the future is the ISPA Foundation Mary Tabacchi Scholarship. With the help of the ISPA Foundation, through a wealth of donations, students interested in pursuing a career in spa management will be able to achieve their dreams. It is the ISPA Foundation's hope that students touched by these scholarships will not only provide comfort and care to people who need it but serve as inspirations to others to join the spa profession.
The scholarship was created in 2006 and named in honor of Mary Tabacchi PhD, RD, Professor, Services Marketing and Operations Management at the Cornell School of Hotel Administration.
Applications for the 2018 ISPA Foundation Mary Tabacchi Scholarship are now being accepted. To learn more about eligibility requirements or to complete the application, please click here. All applications must be received by April 30, 2018.
Please prepare the below essay questions to be submitted on the application:
- Tell us about a personal or professional experience that you feel demonstrates your unique leadership style.
- What business, management, analytical, and/or entrepreneurial coursework have you had that will support your future success, and how?
- As part of a growing industry, how will you utilize your resources to enrich the spa and wellness industry?
- What sets you apart as an individual and as a leader?
- What draws you to the spa and wellness industry, and how does that relate to your overall goals?
Ruth Stricker Spa and Wellness Award
The stresses of modern life take an extra toll on active aging adults across the globe. Ruth Stricker, founder of The Marsh, A Center for Balance and Fitness, in Minnesota, is an internationally recognized icon for the mind/body connection. Her financial gift has allowed the Foundation to create a research award with a special focus on how spas can enhance health and wellness to our aging population or people experiencing techno stress, chronic illness or loneliness.
Dr. Howard Murad Research Grant
Made possible through a donation from Dr. Howard Murad, the Foundation is hoping to discover solutions to the constant stresses of today’s hurried world. Widely acknowledged as one of the country's foremost visionaries in the field of total mind, body and spiritual wellness, Dr. Murad is also an innovator in research concerning the effects of cultural stress - a term used by him to describe the cumulative physical and mental effects resulting from the seemingly minor stress points in everyday life. By funding research into this relatively new area, we believe the negative effects of stress can be minimized to help us all live healthier, balanced lives.
WAYS OF GIVING
Donations are tax deductible to the extent allowable by law and may be designated to one of the following areas of giving:
- Education & Outreach Fund
- ISPA Foundation Mary Tabacchi Scholarship Fund
- Ruth Stricker Spa & Wellness Award
- Dr. Howard Murad Research Grant Fund
There are a variety of ways to financially contribute to the ISPA Foundation that provide benefits both to you and the Foundation. Giving opportunities may also be customized to meet your interests. The ISPA Foundation would be pleased to work with you and your personal advisors to find the method that fits your needs and wishes, as well as ensure any technical requirements are met.
There are additional ways you can contribute and support the Foundation, such as participating in ISPA Foundation events, volunteering your time and knowledge and purchasing ISPA Foundation materials. Through the generous contributions and support of ISPA Foundation donors, the Foundation has the power to move, grow and endure with lasting impact.