Get sun smart at the spa
LEXINGTON, Ky. – We’ve all made mistakes: bell bottoms, scrunchies and laying out in the sun without sunscreen. All that’s in the past. Thanks to advances in skin care and advice from experts, we now know sun worshipping isn’t chic. In fact, it’s downright dangerous. According to the National Cancer Institute, there will be 1 million new cases of skin cancer in 2009 resulting in about 1,000 deaths. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the U.S., and if you do your homework, it’s one of the most preventable. May is Skin Cancer Awareness month and the perfect time to learn about spa solutions that can help protect your skin at the spa.
“Spas educate consumers on healthy skin care and a major factor in that is sun protection,” said ISPA President Lynne McNees. “Spa treatments like microdermabrasion and glycolic acid peels can help repair the damage caused by over exposing your skin to the sun. There are so many great choices at the spa to help prevent and restore your skin from sun damage.”
Wave goodbye to sun spots, wrinkles and leathery skin with a sampling of these ISPA member products that you can find in spas around the world:
- Biodroga Systems/Regent Bond Inc. – Repair Eye Care SPF 15 – reverses sun damage and counteracts free radicals. Free with all orders over $125 in May.
- Epicuren Discovery – Silk Mist Sunscreen SPF 15 – during May buy one, get one free. $46
- kaplanMD Inc. – LIP 20 – anti-aging lip treatment that hydrates, repairs and protects. During May 10 percent of profits will be donated to charity. $30
- Somme Institute – Double Defense SPF 30 with MDT5 Parsol 1789 – protects skin from premature aging while moisturizing. During May purchase any two products and get a free A-Bomb GWP, a cell renewing cream.
- Spiller U.S. – UV Protect Day Cream SPF 30 – hydrating day cream offering full spectrum protection. Normally $32, May special 10 percent off.
- Travertine Spa, Inc. – Hydrating Body Mist – invigorates and nourishes sun exposed skin. Normally $44, May special $31.
Be proactive. By following some easy rules that your local spa can help you with, you’ll be sun smart in no time. Many spas have installed cabanas, umbrellas and covered porches to keep spa-goers out of the sun; at home or at the beach, stay on your porch or take an umbrella. Talk with an esthetician about ways to block UVB (the rays that cause sunburn) and UVA rays (the rays that age you). Ask about the FDA four-star rating system for sunscreens, the rating is linked to UVA rays, and spa lines like Skin Authority are taking note. Add an extra layer of protection by wearing makeup that contains an SPF; there are many mineral-based lines you can find at the spa. Try self tanners instead of sunbathing, and look for ones that contain an AHA for better penetration. Toss out your leftover product from last year, because the active ingredients can deteriorate over time. To find a full listing of spas that can help with your sun care needs visit http://www.experienceispa.com/.
About the International SPA Association
ISPA is recognized worldwide as the leading professional organization and voice of the spa industry. Founded in 1991, ISPA advances the spa industry by providing invaluable educational and networking opportunities, promoting the value of the spa experience and speaking as the authoritative voice to foster professionalism and growth. More details on ISPA are available on http://www.experienceispa.com/.