Celebrate National Yoga Month at the Spa
LEXINGTON, Ky. – September is National Yoga Month and spas around the country are offering classes to help you de-stress and clear your mind. Stress is the No. 1 reason people go to the spa worldwide, and yoga is frequently part of stress-reduction programs. It helps improve muscle tone, flexibility and mobility; reduces stress and anxiety; and induces a sense of well-being.
“According to ISPA’s research, yoga is the most popular mind, body and spirit treatment offered by spas; in fact, one in two resort/hotel spas offer these types of treatments.,” said ISPA President Lynne McNees. “We all know the benefits of exercise, but when you combine that with meditation, stretching and a balanced diet you’re living a healthy spa lifestyle.”
ISPA’s Medical Advisor, Dr. Brent Bauer, the director of the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program at the Mayo Clinic recommends yoga and meditation for reducing stress. Dr. Bauer says, “When you slow your breathing through meditation, your autonomic nervous system (which plays a role in our ‘fight or flight’ response and also allows us to rest) slows down and you get a great relaxation response.”
It doesn’t matter if you practice Ashtanga, Bikram or Vinyasa you’re sure to find an ISPA member spa that’s offering yoga in your area.
- Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, Kihei, HI – Yoga enthusiasts can join renowned Ashtanga Yoga masters David Swenson and Shelly Washington on September 10-15. The package is part of the resort’s Unforgettable Events series and includes: five nights in luxury accommodations, four morning yoga classes and three afternoon classes, daily “Talk Yoga” sessions and a group dinner. Pricing begins at $4,500.
- Montage Resort & Spa, Laguna Beach, CA – Every Sunday and Tuesday join an exclusive series of yoga classes inspired by the teachings of Ashley Turner. Starting at $40 you’ll be able to learn from this mind-body yoga psychologist who has worked with celebrities Michelle Branch and Pete Yorn. Classes also include access to the spa’s lap pool, sauna, steam room, movement studio and Jacuzzi.
Turner says, “Yoga offers a naturally concise and effective method to simultaneously create physical strength, mental clarity and spiritual fulfillment. It increases metabolism, circulation and moves the body and mind from a ‘stress response’ to a ‘relaxation response’ through deep breathing. Yoga is the perfect preparation for any spa treatment and will amplify the benefits.”
- Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, Ojai, CA -The Mind-Body class offerings at the spa include a variety of yoga classes for all levels. Amongst the nine offerings, Yin Yoga is a deep, powerful yoga that works through sustained stretching and compressive postures; while Gentle Yoga incorporates walking and seated meditation to bring you to the present moment with the soothing sounds of a Zen flute. All classes are offered complimentary when you stay at the property.
- One Ocean Resort Hotel & Spa, Atlantic Beach, FL – Guests can refocus awareness and recapture their attention with beach side Hatha Yoga. The backdrop of the Atlantic Ocean will help you relieve stress for 60 minutes at $20 for a group class or $60 for a private session. Days and times are flexible based on advanced reservation.
- The Spa at Ballantyne, Charlotte, NC – A 90-minute Yoga Celebration Class will be offered on Saturday, September 2 in recognition of National Yoga Month. The $10 class will be held at 8:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. The class will draw attention to the benefits of yoga and inspire a healthy lifestyle.
- VH Spa for Vitality + Health at Hotel Valley Ho<, Scottsdale, AZ – Yoga is offered twice a week in the movement studio, including Hatha Yoga on Mondays at 9:30 a.m. and Vinyasa Flow Yoga on Saturdays at 8:00 a.m. Each class is 60 minutes and costs $15 plus a 20 percent service charge.
About International SPA Association
ISPA is recognized worldwide as the leading professional organization and voice of the spa industry. Founded in 1991, ISPA advances the spa industry by providing invaluable educational and networking opportunities, promoting the value of the spa experience and speaking as the authoritative voice to foster professionalism and growth. More details on ISPA are available on experienceispa.com.