ISPA members must agree to the following standards and practices when joining the association.
• Staff, when hired, is provided with a Policy and Procedures Manual that is reviewed and updated annually.
• Staff is provided with and/or given access to constantly updated Treatment Procedure and Product manuals for all treatment modalities, including the spa's menu.
• Staff is given a job/responsibility description upon hiring, followed up with at least one annual evaluation of each individual's job performance.
• All specialized staff such as fitness instructors, personal trainers, massage therapists, estheticians, nail technicians, hairstylists, nutritionists, physiologists, psychologists, and medical technicians comply with applicable international, federal, state and local regulations with regard to licensing, registration and appropriate certification.
• The Director/Supervisor of any fitness and/or aerobics program has at least a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in an appropriate area of study, or a current certification from a nationally recognized organization in the health/fitness industry, such as the American Council on Exercise (ACE), Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) or the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) or their international equivalents.
• During operating hours there is at least one staff member scheduled on-site who has current CPR certification.
• Staff who perform advanced techniques and/or use advanced technology are appropriately trained and function in compliance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines.
• During hours of operation and for all physically challenging, supervised activities held both on (e.g., hydrotherapy) and off (e.g., hiking) site, there is at least one staff member scheduled and present who has current CPR and first-aid certification.
• A first-aid kit is properly stocked and readily available at all times.
• A written emergency plan is posted in plain view at all appropriate staff stations. The plan includes standard emergency procedures for specific incidents and phone numbers of police, fire and emergency medical assistance.
• All procedures for cleaning and maintenance are in accordance with applicable international, federal, state and local regulations, and with appropriate manufacturer's guidelines.
• All floor surfaces are designed and constructed to accommodate the intended activities for each area.
• Signage is posted to alert and educate guests about possible risks and practices as needed in areas such as: exercise studios, pools, wet areas, saunas, steam rooms, whirlpools, racquet sports courts and any other potentially hazardous areas.
• The spa has an ongoing monitoring system for ensuring appropriate control of temperatures in all areas where guests are exposed to high thermal stress (e.g., saunas, steam rooms, whirlpools and exercise rooms).
• The spa's facilities and operating procedures comply with all applicable international, federal, state and local regulations including OSHA and the Americans with Disabilities Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities.
• If the spa includes fitness and weight training equipment, staff is available to provide assistance and instruction in the proper and effective use of such equipment.
• Written material is provided that accurately depicts the facility, nutrition/diet/wellness and other programs, philosophy, rates, deposits, customary tipping and gratuities, cancellation policy and grace period for refunds.
• All new spa guests and/or annual members are given an orientation and tour of the spa as soon as possible upon arrival.
• Guests complete a confidential screening questionnaire and/or informed consent statement appropriate to their planned activities. All guest history and counseling session information is considered private and confidential, and such information is not disclosed by the spa or its coworkers without the proper consent of the individual, unless such a disclosure is required by law.
• The spa promptly responds to guest complaints and resolves them in as timely and efficiently a manner as possible. The spa attempts to resolve within 60 days any consumer complaints brought to its attention by state or local consumer protection agencies or ISPA.
• Guests are able to express their concerns and suggestions regarding facilities, staff and programming through a feedback system designed to encourage guest feedback.
• The spa has current liability insurance or the equivalent for the purpose of guests' protection.
• All programs are flexible enough to accommodate a variety of individual goals, fitness levels and needs.
• Spa programs and menus are designed to encourage the guest toward health enhancing activities and wellness while acknowledging the guest's current health status.
• Staff is courteous, helpful, knowledgeable and articulate.
• Staff is committed to anticipating the guests' needs and serving them.
• Staff believes in the precepts of spa wellness and is willing and able to share these philosophies with guests.
• Staff zealously guards the guest's privacy and modesty.
• Staff is attentive to preserving the spa environment at all times.
CODE OF ETHICS
• Member will be guided in all activities by truth, accuracy, fairness and integrity.
• Member pledges loyalty to the Association and agrees to pursue and support its objectives.
• Member pledges to keep informed on the latest techniques, developments and knowledge pertinent to professional improvement.
• Member will help fellow members reach personal and professional fulfillment.
• Member will utilize every opportunity to enhance the public image of the spa industry.
Resource Partner Vendor Membership
As a Resource Partner Member of ISPA, it is our mission to enhance the quality of life through our endeavors to provide quality products, services and education to those we serve. In our cooperative efforts, our goal is to bring appreciation, value and understanding of the spa experience to the consumer. In order to fulfill our mission, we pledge the following:
• We will be guided in all activities by truth, accuracy, fairness and integrity.
• To produce quality products and services and continually educate our customers about our products and services to better serve the end consumer.
• To deliver on our commitments.
• That we are an equal-opportunity employer.
• We will cooperate with our customers toward the continual expansion of the spa industry.
• That we conduct our business in a manner that commands the respect of those we serve.
• Customer satisfaction will be the determining factor in all our business dealings.
• To be loyal to the Association and agree to pursue and support its objectives.
• To keep informed on the latest techniques, developments and knowledge pertinent to professional improvement.
• To help fellow members reach personal and professional fulfillment.
• We will utilize every opportunity to enhance the public image of the spa industry.