LEXINGTON, Ky. - The International SPA Association Foundation is pleased to announce that students may begin submitting applications for the Mary Tabacchi Scholarship. The scholarship, created in 2006, is named in honor of industry pioneer and Cornell University Associate Professor Mary H. Tabacchi, Ph.D., R.D. Students interested in a career in spa management are encouraged to apply. Applications will be accepted through March 15, 2010.
"With spa employment on the rise it is vital that we provide the best education and opportunities for the next generation of spa industry leaders," said ISPA Foundation President Jeff Kohl. "The Mary Tabacchi Scholarship does just that, by aiding a student in fulfilling their career goals. The ISPA Foundation is dedicated to providing the best tools and resources for the spa industry leaders of today and tomorrow."
Dr. Tabacchi added, "Leadership, passion, dedication, commitment and strong business skills are important attributes for ISPA to foster. I believe that this scholarship is crucial for the future of the spa industry. Leadership comes in many forms, from thought leaders, elected officers, CEOs, spa directors, entrepreneurs and strong creative endeavors. We hope that we can select from hundreds of qualified, passionate applicants. The scholarship is one of ISPA's most important endeavors."
The scholarship recipient will receive $2,500 towards their education. Students may access the application online. A selection committee will review the applications based on the following criteria:
Students must be enrolled:
- 1. part- or full-time, in a two- or four-year spa-related program, with a demonstrated interest or emphasis in spa management;
- 2. with a minimum of one year completed at a post-secondary educational institution.
- 1. have a minimum GPA (or international equivalent) of 2.75;
- 2. complete a scholarship application, which includes an essay section describing their skills and qualifications, as well as personal and professional goals;
- 3. submit at least two references, one of which must be from their school advisor, indicating enrollment status, year in school and emphasis in spa management;
- 4. submit original college transcripts that include evidence of courses taken and GPA (or international equivalent).
For more information regarding the Mary Tabacchi Scholarship, or to make a donation to the scholarship fund please visit the ISPA Foundation Web site.
About the ISPA Foundation
The ISPA Foundation is the nonprofit 501(c) 3 arm of ISPA and was created in 1999 to serve the educational and research needs of the spa industry. The ISPA Foundation's mission is to improve and enhance the value of the spa experience; its vision is to advance spa culture to sustain health and well-being. The ISPA Foundation's objectives include being the educational source for the spa industry, establishing definitive research that validates spa industry related topics and creating an endowment that sustains the ISPA Foundation in perpetuity.