LEXINGTON, Ky. - The International SPA Association is pleased to announce its board of directors for 2012, including two new officers and three new members. ISPA Board members volunteer their time to strategically lead the association and develop plans for enhancing membership and the spa industry through research, events and education. The new ISPA Board of Directors will begin their roles during the 21st annual ISPA Conference & Expo, Nov. 7-9, at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nev.
The 2012 ISPA Board will be led by newly elected Chairman Ella Stimpson, executive director of spas and salons, Wynn and Encore Las Vegas. "It is such an exciting time to be a member of the spa community," said Stimpson. "With new research launches ahead, monthly Snapshot Surveys filled with implementable ideas, webinars, weekly e-newsletters and a Conference full of education it's also a great time to be an ISPA Member. I'm confident that our industry will grow and thrive in the upcoming year as we spread the message of what the spa industry is all about - health and wellness."
Elected members of the 2012 ISPA Board of Directors are as follows:
- Chairman: Ella Stimpson, executive director of spas and salons, Wynn and Encore Las Vegas
- Vice Chairman: Michael Tompkins, president and general manager, Miraval Resort and Spa
Newly Elected ISPA Board Members
- Sharilyn Abbajay, vice president, global spa and retail operations, Marriott International
- Sean Handler, Michigan director of spas, Solace Spa at Boyne Resorts
- Frank Pitsikalis, founder and CEO, ResortSuite
Returning ISPA Board Members
- Dr. Brent Bauer, director of the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program at the Mayo Clinic (ISPA Medical Advisor)
- Dr. Kathryn Dundas, MD, CEO, medical director, Sublime Wellness Spa
- Thor Holm, director of spa recreation and fitness, Hammock Beach Resort
- Jeff Kohl, senior vice president and chief operating officer, Red Door Spas (ISPA Foundation President)
- Paul Schmidt, owner, CEO, Living Energy Design
- Philippe Therene, founder, SpaEquip
- Robert Vance, spa director, Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain
- Deborah Waldvogel, immediate past chairman, ISPA Board of Directors and director of spa development and operations, Sedona Resorts
- W. Todd Walter, CEO, Red Door Spas
Elected Officers of the 2011 ISPA Foundation Board of Directors are as follows:
- President: Jeff Kohl, senior vice president and chief operating officer, Red Door Spas
- Vice President/strong>: Sharilyn Abbajay, vice president, global spa and retail operations, Marriott International
- Secretary/Treasurer: Calvin Martin, partner, Calvin Martin & Company, PLLC
Several members of the ISPA Board of Directors and the ISPA Foundation Board of Directors have completed their terms including Ann Brown, spa director, Spa Shiki; Jesper Hougaard, managing director, Serena Spa Pvt. Ltd. (ex officio member); Jaime Huffman, MPH, executive spa director, The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa; Jennifer Wayland-Smith, president, Salmon Creek Media and Marketing and Cathy Cluff, president and CEO, Oaks at Ojai from the ISPA Foundation Board of Directors. During their service groundbreaking texts and research was launched including Spa: A Comprehensive Introduction and the ISPA 2010 and 2011 U.S. Spa Industry Study.
Becoming Involved in Board Service
The application process for the 2013 ISPA Board of Directors will begin in early 2012. At that time, a call for candidates will be e-mailed to all ISPA members and the application will be posted on experienceispa.com.
About International SPA AssociationISPA is recognized worldwide as the leading professional organization and voice of the spa industry. Founded in 1991, ISPA advances the spa industry by providing invaluable educational and networking opportunities, promoting the value of the spa experience and speaking as the authoritative voice to foster professionalism and growth. More details on ISPA are available on experienceispa.com.
Spas are places devoted to overall well-being through a variety of professional services that encourage the renewal of mind, body and spirit.