LEXINGTON, Ky. - The International SPA Association is pleased to announce its board of directors for 2011, including three new officers and four new members. ISPA Board members volunteer their time to strategically lead the association and develop plans for enhancing membership and the spa industry through research, events and education. The new ISPA Board of Directors will begin their roles during the 20th anniversary celebration of the ISPA Conference & Expo, Nov. 15-18, at Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center in the Washington D.C. area/National Harbor, MD.
The 2011 ISPA Board will be led by newly elected Chairman Deborah Waldvogel, director of spa development and operations for Sedona Resorts. "As a long time member of ISPA, it is an honor to lead an association dedicated to bringing the most valuable resources and education to the spa industry," said Waldvogel. "As we embark on the next 20 years of development in the global spa industry ISPA's members will continue to lead the way."
Elected members of the 2011 ISPA Board of Directors are as follows:
- Chairman: Deborah Waldvogel, director of spa development and operations, Sedona Resorts
- Vice Chairman: Jennifer Wayland-Smith, spa director, Golden Door Spa at The Boulders
- Secretary/Treasurer: Ella Stimpson, spa director, Encore Spa at Wynn Las Vegas (re-elected for a second term)
Newly Elected ISPA Board Members
- Thor Holm, director of spa recreation and fitness, Hammock Beach Resort (re-elected for a second term)
- Philippe Therene, founder, SpaEquip
- Michael Tompkins, general manager, Miraval Life in Balance
- Robert Vance, spa director, Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain
- W. Todd Walter, CEO, Red Door Spas
Returning ISPA Board Members
- Dr. Brent Bauer, director of the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program at the Mayo Clinic (ISPA Medical Advisor)
- Ann Brown, spa director, Spa Shiki
- Dr. Kathryn Dundas, MD, CEO, medical director, Sublime Energy Medical Spa
- Andrew Gibson, group director of spa, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group
- Jesper Hougaard, managing director, Serena Spa Pvt. Ltd. (ex officio member)
- Jaime Huffman, MPH, executive spa director, The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa
- Jeff Kohl, national vertical accounts manager, Precor Inc. (ISPA Foundation President)
- Frank Pitsikalis, president, ResortSuite
- Paul Schmidt, owner, CEO, Living Energy Design
Elected Officers of the 2011 ISPA Foundation Board of Directors are as follows:
- President: Jeff Kohl, national vertical accounts manager, Precor Inc.
- Vice President: Cathy Cluff, president and CEO, Oaks at Ojai
- Secretary Sharilyn Abbajay, vice president, global spa and retail operations, Marriott International
- Treasurer: Calvin Martin, partner, Calvin Martin & Company, PLLC
Several members of the ISPA Board of Directors and the ISPA Foundation Board of Directors have completed their terms including Sharilyn Abbajay, vice president, global spa and retail operations, Marriott International; Lori Hutchinson, owner, Hutchinson Consulting; Jean Kolb, director, Kohler Company; Jeremy McCarthy, director, spa operations and development, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide; Susan Wheeler, spa director, The Spa at The Equinox, and Celeste Hilling, founder, Skin Authority and Edwin Neill III, president, SpaBiz from the ISPA Foundation Board of Directors. During their service groundbreaking texts and research was launched including Spa: A Comprehensive Introduction and the inaugural ISPA Global Consumer Study.
Becoming Involved in Board Service
The application process for the 2012 ISPA Board of Directors will begin in early 2011. At that time, a call for candidates will be e-mailed to all ISPA members and the application will be posted on http://www.experienceispa.com/.
About the International SPA Association
ISPA is recognized worldwide as the leading professional organization and voice of the global spa industry by providing invaluable educational and networking opportunities to foster professionalism and growth. More details on ISPA are available on http://www.experienceispa.com/.
Spas are places devoted to overall well-being through a variety of professional services that encourage the renewal of mind, body and spirit.