LEXINGTON, Ky. - February isn't all about flowers and chocolates, it's actually more about hearts than you might think. This month is American Heart Month and February 5 is Wear Red Day, a special day to raise awareness about heart disease, the leading cause of death for both men and women in the U.S. According to the Center for Disease Control, about every 25 seconds, an American will have a coronary event, and about every minute someone will die from one. The best weapons you have to fight heart disease are a healthy diet and lifestyle, and that's where the spa comes in.
"Spas are the perfect place to learn heart healthy lifestyle techniques from relaxation methods to cooking tips," said ISPA President Lynne McNees. "The No. 1 reason people visit the spa is to reduce/relieve stress." Spas can educate you on preventative care that can lead to an overall better lifestyle. McNees added, "What's more important than investing in your health? Wouldn't you rather relax, reflect and revitalize at a spa, then spend time in a doctor's office being treated for stress-related illnesses like heart disease down the road?"
ISPA members are getting involved this month with treatments, packages and products in recognition of American Heart Month:
- Cal-a-Vie Health Spa, Vista, CA - Heart Health Week/a> programs include nutrition talks from Linda Illingworth, resident Registered Dietitian, and a presentation from Dr. Mark Drucker, the Medical Director of the Center for Advanced Medicine in San Diego.
- Lake Austin Spa Resort , Austin, TX -
- series features Nutrition for Heart Health with Dietitian: Terry Shaw on Feb. 9. Strong Hearts with Dr. Scott Gaertner, Board Certified Family Practice, and Wendy Gaertner, Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Professional will teach you how to find your various heart rate zones, ways to maintain a healthy heart and different workouts to strengthen your heart on Feb. 10.
- Red Mountain Resort and Spa, Ivins, UT - Seeing Red: Getting Emotionally Fit with Andrea Hanson will allow you to break free of debilitating emotions with a certified energy health practitioner and Kundalini yoga therapist. At $339 from Feb. 10-14.
- Trump International Hotel, Las Vegas - The Healing Hearts Go Red package is available with a donation of $25 or more that will be donated to Go Red For Women. The package includes a 40- minute each pedicure, massage and facial, plus a 25-minute scalp massage and take home gift. All for $199, Feb.1-28.
For a complete list of ISPA members involved with American Heart Month please contact ISPA, and visit http://www.experienceispa.com/ to find an ISPA member.
ISPA is recognized worldwide as the leading professional organization and voice of the spa industry. Founded in 1991, ISPA advances the spa industry by providing invaluable educational and networking opportunities, promoting the value of the spa experience and speaking as the authoritative voice to foster professionalism and growth. http://www.experienceispa.com/.