LEXINGTON, Ky. - Did you know that April 16th is National Stress Awareness Day? Coincidence that it falls the day after taxes are due? I don't know, but spas can help. ISPA's research shows that the No. 1 reason people go to the spa is to relax and relieve or reduce stress. Here are some other facts on stress:
- 1/3 of Americans are living with extreme stress and nearly half believe their stress has increased over the past five years. (American Psychological Association)
- People who go for a single deep-tissue massage reduce their blood pressure by seven points. Over time, lowered blood pressure can add six years to your life. (Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine)
- By 2020, the top five diseases will all have the underlying contributing factor of stress. (World Health Organization)
Dealing with your stress today can help prevent stress-related illnesses (heart disease, stroke, depression) tomorrow. "There's quite a bit you can learn at a spa to help reduce stress," said Dr. Brent Bauer, director of the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program at Mayo Clinic. "Things like meditation, acupuncture, massage and guided imagery - the right answer is to find what fits for you and incorporate it on a regular basis."
"Spas are not about luxury they're about teaching healthy living; they're a place where people can get tangible results and work on overall well-being," said ISPA President Lynne McNees. "So many spas are offering great ways to help you manage your stress that it's easy to find a spa experience that fits into your budget."
A sampling of the stress relieving treatments offered by ISPA members during April include:
- Saybrook Point Inn & Spa's Calming Combo includes your choice of any 50-minute massage with a scalp treatment or foot massage. $99 Mon-Fri (CT)
- Skinsational Skin & Body Spa offers free mini-massage or mini-facials from 11a.m. - 1 p.m. Mon-Thu (CA)
- Relache Spa has a De-Stress for Less package with a massage, facial or manicure/pedicure combo. $99 (TN)
- Le Boe European Day Spa's Tax Stress Relief Package includes 60-minute aromatherapy massage, 15-minute face and scalp massage and 15-minute reflexology. $130 (FL)
- The Founders Inn & Spa's Stress Less is a 50-minute massage and 50-minute pedicure. $99 Mon-Thu (VA)
- The Spa & Fitness Club at South Coast Plaza is offering complimentary lunch and 25% off all services and retail on April 16th. (CA)
- The Spa at Ballantyne will offer free seminars to help combat stress from 4 - 6 p.m. April 16th. (NC)
ISPA is recognized worldwide as the leading professional organization and voice of the spa industry. http://www.experienceispa.com/