Thursday, 07 August 2008
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Spa and skin-care expert Celeste Hilling is a new member of the International SPA Association Foundation Board of Directors. Based in San Diego, Hilling is the founder of Skin Authority and is a past member of the ISPA Board of Directors.
"We are excited to welcome Celeste to the ISPA Foundation Board," said ISPA Foundation President Edwin Neill III. "Celeste's wealth of knowledge, combined with extensive fundraising experience, will support the Foundation in promoting sustainable health and well-being through the spa experience."
Hilling added, "I am honored to participate on the ISPA Foundation Board and humbled to be serving with such an amazing group of active, committed ISPA members to advance the level of education and research available to enrich the spa industry as a whole." Hilling joins the following professionals on the ISPA Foundation Board:
ISPA Foundation Officers
- President: Edwin Neill III, CEO, Neill Corporation
- Vice President: Ruth Stricker, owner/founder, The Marsh, a Center for Balance and Fitness
- Secretary: Cathy Cluff, managing director, Oaks at Ojai
- Treasurer: Calvin Martin, partner, Calvin Martin & Company, PLLC
ISPA Foundation Board Members
- Dr. Brent A. Bauer, director, complementary and integrative medicine program, Mayo Clinic
- Thad Hyland, general manager, Harbor View Hotel & Resort
- John Korpi, principal, SpaQuest International
- Sylvia Sepielli, owner, Sylvia Planning and Design
- Shenyn Wang, managing director, Orient Retreat Spa
ISPA Board Members serving on the Foundation Board
- Jean Kolb, director, Kohler Waters Spa/American Club
- Jim Root, president, Glen Ivy Hot Springs Spa
- Jennifer Wayland-Smith, spa director, Golden Door Spa at The Boulders
Honorary ISPA Foundation Board Member
- Deborah Szekely, founder, Rancho La Puerta and Golden Door
With a focus on education and research, the ISPA Foundation continually develops the spa management profession and creates opportunities for future expansion through:
- Promoting spa management as a career
- Developing collegiate spa management curriculum
- Creating opportunities for higher education through grants and scholarships
The Foundation's focus on education and research includes:
- Working in partnership with ISPA and The American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute to release an introductory-level course to colleges this fall. "Spa: A Comprehensive Introduction," includes a textbook as well as an extensive video component exploring the history and philosophy of spas, examining today's spa industry, and introducing students to spa careers.
- Endowment opportunities with the Dr. Howard Murad Research Grant and the Ruth Stricker Spa & Wellness Award. Dr. Murad's eponymous grant offers financial assistance to those conducting research that addresses Cultural Stress, its effects, and ways to manage it. The Ruth Stricker Spa & Wellness Award offers financial assistance for the purpose of stimulating research and exploration into the various ways that spa can meet current health care needs, promote wellness, and enhance quality of life.
- The Mary Tabacchi Scholarship offers students $2,500 toward their education, as well as registration, airfare and hotel accommodations to attend the annual ISPA Conference & Expo. Applications for the 2009 scholarship will be available later this year on http://www.experienceispa.com/.
About the ISPA Foundation
Created in 1999 to serve the educational and research needs of the spa industry through endowments, curriculum development and scholarships, the ISPA Foundation is the nonprofit 501(c)3 arm of ISPA. The ISPA Foundation's mission is to improve and enhance the value of the spa experience while supporting its vision of sustainable health and well-being through the advancement of spa culture. For more information on the ISPA Foundation and opportunities for involvement, please visit www.experienceispa.com.