Members of the International SPA Association (ISPA) have found a silver lining to the inevitable sugar cravings. Spas and product companies are using sugar as a scrub aid to help relieve stress.
"Sugar has many health benefits in spa treatments. Sugar can be used to exfoliate, increase circulation, improve skin tone, moisturize and restore balance to your skin," said ISPA President Lynne McNees. "Using sugar to benefit your skin will leave you feeling less guilty about giving in to your sugar cravings."
Reap the benefits of sugar by treating yourself to these creative spa treatments and sugar-infused products from ISPA members.
Sweet Spa Treatments:
- Agua Serena Spa at the Hyatt Regency Indian Wells in Indian Wells, Calif. offers a "Kai Body Polish" pairing salt with sugar to exfoliate skin and finishing with a body butter.
- Chill Spa Hotel Terra in Teton Village, Wyo. offers a "Mountain Glow Treatment" invigorating skin cells using a sugar and lemongrass oil scrub to massage the back, shoulders and arms.
- Eau Spa in Manalapan, Fla. offers "Champagne Shimmer Body Luster" which uses a brown sugar to scrub and warm champagne oil to soften and hydrate new skin.
- Massage Envy Spa with multiple locations nationwide offers "Sugar Foot Scrub Therapy" using the Bon Vital Lavender sugaring product to soothe and smooth rough, calloused feet.
- One Ocean Resort and Spa in Atlantic Beach, Fla. offers "Waterlemonade Refresher Body Treatment" which uses a fresh watermelon-basil and vodka sugar scrub.
- Red Door Spa with multiple locations nationwide offers "Orange & Pomegranate Sugar Body Glow Treatment" which incorporates the spa's signature sugar orange-pomegranate body scrub.
- Spa at Desert Springs in Palm Desert, Calif. offers "Desert Journey Signature Treatment" a light brown sugar scrub mixed with a body butter to hydrate and exfoliate.
- Spa Evangeline at the Epicurean Hotel in Tampa, Fla. offers "Body Elixir Polish," a fine-grain white and brown sugar-based polish by FarmHouse Fresh to exfoliate skin.
- Spa Réveil in Austin, Texas offers the "Moroccan Purifying Ritual" which incorporates a sugar-based scrub with black olive, coffee, crushed almond, neroli, orange and lemon rind.
- Spa Shiki at The Lodge of Four Seasons Resorts in Lake Ozark, Mo. offers a "Mandarin Green Tea Sugar Scrub" that sloughs dead skin from feet and relax the entire body.
- Springs Eternal Spa at Omni Bedford Springs Resort in Bedford, Pa. offers "Sugar Maple Glow" including a sugar scrub and whipped body butter.
- The Spa at Omni Mount Washington Resort in Bretton Woods, N.H. offers the "Herbal Body Treatment" including herbs from the resort's own garden mixed with a sugar scrub.
- The Spa at the Omni Homestead in Hot Springs, Va. offers the "Southern Harvest Apricot & Sweet Vanilla Wrap" with a sweet vanilla sugar scrub and an apricot body mask.
- The Spa at Trump in Honolulu, Hawaii offers "Kaua'I and Clay Mask Treatment" by Malie Organic that works to slough off dead cells and ends with the clay body mask.
- The Spa of Colonial Williamsburg in Williamsburg, Va. offers "18th Century Colonial Orange and Ginger Scrub and Massage" which combines ginger and orange in a sugar scrub.