LEXINGTON, Ky. - The Master's, beginning this week, kicks off the 2010 men's major golf championships putting the golf world on top of everyone's minds. One thing all sports enthusiasts have in common, besides fierce competition, is the spa. Athletes of all kinds turn to the spa to help recover, improve and maintain their athletic drive. Many spas easily incorporate treatments and programs centered around golf, and now is the perfect time to take a look at them if you are above or below par.
"No matter what sport or physical activity you practice it's important to take care of yourself," said ISPA President Lynne McNees. "The spa is the perfect place to go to recover from a long game or to prepare for an upcoming tournament. According to ISPA's research a fourth of spa-goers worldwide say their primary reason for going to a spa is to soothe sore joints and muscles."
ISPA members offer an array of sports-related programs and treatments to help keep you in swinging condition:
- Doral Golf Resort & Spa - A Marriott Resort, Doral, FL - With five 18-hole golf courses, the spa sees a lot of golf enthusiasts requesting the 20-minute Sports Manicure for $40 and the 30-minute Sports Pedicure for $50. They both include black diamond exfoliation and in-depth massage.
- The Grand Del Mar, San Diego, CA - The Athletic Encounter sports massage addresses the restriction and impairments of repetitively stressed muscles. This massage realigns and stretches muscles to improve flexibility and flush metabolic waste, $175 for 60 minutes.
- Heavenly Spa at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, Hilton Head Island, SC - The 50-minute Royal Tee Golf Massage for $135 will help relax and loosen up your golf swing. Heat is used along with sports massage techniques to help relax your stance.
- Kohler Waters Spas, Kohler, WI and St. Andrews, Scotland - With two locations renowned for golf you can't go wrong with a Golfer's Massage designed to increase flexibility, 50 minutes for $140/£87. The Golfer's Foot Renewal restores feet with a warm mud mask, scrub and massage, 50 minutes for $90/£55.
- Mii amo, A Destination Spa at Enchantment, Sedona, AZ - The Strength Training treatment is perfect for athletes. A personal trainer guides you through a customized workout and develops a program for you to do on your own, $150 for 60 minutes.
- The Willow Stream Spa at The Fairmont Banff Springs, Banff, AB - The Golf Performance Treatment Massage is endorsed by golf instructor David Leadbetter and professional golfer Charles Howell III. The combination of massage, stretching and acupressure aids in improving performance, balance and swing rotation, as well as avoiding injury, 60 minutes beginning at $159.
- The Willow Stream Spa at The Fairmont Mayakoba, Riviera Maya, Mexico - The Willow Stream Golf Facial will moisturize, repair and protect skin from the sun while on the links. It also includes a shoulder, hand and foot massage, plus a golf gift, beginning at $189 for 90 minutes.
ISPA is recognized worldwide as the leading professional organization and voice of the spa industry. Founded in 1991, ISPA advances the spa industry by providing invaluable educational and networking opportunities, promoting the value of the spa experience and speaking as the authoritative voice to foster professionalism and growth. http://www.experienceispa.com/.