On Nov. 12-15, the International SPA Association Conference & Expo continued a 17-year tradition of being the definitive event of the year for the worldwide spa community. The following is a list of facts from the 2007 ISPA Conference & Expo:
- More than 3,000 spa professionals from 47 countries attended the event held at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center in Kissimmee, Fla., USA.
- There were more than 400 first-time attendees (record amount).
- The Conference theme was Imagine the Possibilities.
- 43 hours of education were offered.
- The Expo included 450 booths (record amount) representing more than 280 companies.
- More than 100 new products were launched.
- There were 80 new exhibitors at the event.
- The Expo was the largest to date, encompassing 130,000 square feet of space.
Keynote presentations included:
- Dr. Maya Angelou
- Jim Collins
- Arch Stokes
This year's Visionary Panel included Clodagh, Deborah Szekely and Dr. Brent Bauer.
Award recipients included:
- ISPA Alex Szekely Humanitarian Award - Dr. Maya Angelou
- ISPA Dedicated Contributor Award - Dr. Jonathan DeVierville
- ISPA Visionary Award - Clodagh
Business tools released during the Conference:
- The ISPA 2007 Spa Industry Study is the newest installment of the respected research on the North American spa industry that ISPA has been conducting since 2000.
- The Risk Management for Spas e-Learning Course was created by ISPA and the ISPA Foundation in partnership with the Resort Hotel Association. Presented in a series of modules, the course provides education on risk management and highlights key areas to be aware of that will assist spas in understanding risks and limiting exposure.
- The Spa Professional Career Guide was developed by the ISPA Education Committee to describe the nuances of therapists' and estheticians' roles in the spa environment. This free tool for members includes compensation examples, job descriptions and performance expectations.
- WageWatch introduced a new tool for compiling and comparing compensation data; this tool is offered at a special rate to ISPA members.
- The ISPA Foundation launched the Charter Club and Friend of the Foundation programs. Available for one year, the Charter Club entails making a contribution of $500 or more between Nov. 1, 2007 and Nov. 30, 2008. The Friend of the Foundation designation requires a donation of $50 or more.
Looking ahead to 2008...
- The 2008 ISPA Conference & Expo will be held Nov. 10-13 at The Venetian Resort Hotel Casino in Las Vegas.
- Renowned photographer Dewitt Jones will be the opening keynote speaker. Following numerous requests, Jones was invited back as a speaker following his memorable presentation at the 2001 Conference.
- Marking her fourth year as ISPA's master of ceremonies, Dr. Bertice Berry will bring her humor, music and wisdom to the stage in Las Vegas.
Thank you to our Sponsors
The ISPA Conference & Expo would not be possible without the support of dozens of dedicated sponsors. ISPA gives special thanks to our Corporate Partners: Precor, the official fitness equipment provider of ISPA; and Hay House, the official inspirational and self-help publisher of ISPA. All of the Conference sponsors are listed below.
About the International SPA Association
ISPA is recognized worldwide as the leading professional organization and voice of the spa industry. ISPA's membership is comprised of more than 3,000 health and wellness facilities and providers from 75 countries. ISPA advances the spa industry by providing invaluable educational and networking opportunities, promoting the value of the spa experience and speaking as the authoritative voice to foster professionalism and growth. More details on ISPA are available on http://www.experienceispa.com/cms/cms/articles/.