LEXINGTON, KY. - The International SPA Association recently hosted the 17th annual ISPA Media Event at Gotham Hall in New York, NY. The annual gathering included ISPA member spas and resource partners, and was attended by leading beauty, business and travel media. The ISPA Media Event promotes the spa industry, introduces the latest trends and releases new ISPA research while the participating ISPA members perform innovative and unique treatments on the media.
"The ISPA Media Event is an opportunity for the media to learn how the spa experience can improve the quality of life for so many people," said ISPA President Lynne McNees. "We are all suffering from the effects of stress, and we have less time to spend away from those stress triggers. Learning techniques at the spa that can help you deal with built up tension, improve your appearance and take time out for yourself isn't optional anymore it's a necessity."
New offerings were introduced along with several trends at the event including:
- Put your best face forward - Several facials were featured during the event, but one thing they all had in common was achieving a results-oriented experience. The HydroPeptide® Advanced Resurfacing Stem Cell Facial utilizes a unique blend of peptides and six different stem cells to achieve younger looking skin. Massage Envy Spas located throughout the U.S. showcased a Healthy Skin Vitamin C Infusion Facial that utilizes Murad products. The facial helps repair and prevent free radical damage caused by environmental exposure. Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, NY made sure that the men were catered to with their Fuel Your Face: Four Minutes to Fit Skin for Men facial. Formulated especially for men to balance, bioactivate and defend the skin. ZO® Skin Health by Zein Obagi, MD demonstrated the Ossential Stimulator Peel, a unique waterless facial performed in under 30 minutes, making it perfect for time-stressed spa-goers. A beta/alpha acid peel stimulates cellular turnover, reduces fine lines and wrinkles and improves overall skin tone, texture and clarity.
- Spa anywhere - The Suite Spa® cart is truly a mobile spa. The cart provides services ranging from a pedicure to a full body massage, performed just as they would be in a spa facility. Taking the spa experience into hotel rooms, hospitals, wellness communities and assisted living facilities. Spa-goers on the go can experience treatments like the Blueberry and Blue Tansy Foot Smoothie and The Marine Caffeine and Lavender Aloe Eye Rescue. All of the products used are from their signature organic line.
- All hands on deck - ELLE Spa at Eden Roc Renaissance Miami Beach in FL made sure to sooth the busy hands of writers in attendance by offering the Dead Sea Detoxifier. Dead Sea salts, which work to replenish minerals and botanical oils are massaged into the skin to cleanse, exfoliate and stimulate circulation. The Spa at Trump in New York, NY knows that the hands show the first signs of aging, so they created a treatment to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles for younger looking hands. The Embrace Light Hand Treatment uses Baby Quasar LED Light Therapy to stimulate blood flow, increase circulation and increase the production of collagen.
- Balance your stress - One of the most important aspects of any spa experience is finding a way to balance your mind, body and spirit. Aspira Spa located in Elkhart Lake, WI helped align the chakras (energy points) of the media with their Chakra Gardens Massage. This customized massage uses the color and the vibration of indigenous plants to energize and balance the chakras giving an overall sense of peace and relaxation. Complete Harmony was developed by Kohler Waters Spa in Kohler, WI to clear the mind and release tension. Breathing exercises and aromatherapy help to induce a state of relaxation while a temple and scalp massage is performed. Skana, The Spa at Turning Stone Resort in Verona, NY also utilized the benefits of aromatherapy in their Oneida Peaceful Journey treatment. A dry oil is massaged into the arms and hands while a warm pine infused towel is applied to the neck and shoulders. The fatigue easing massage continues on the upper back, scalp and facial pressure points.
- Relaxation through sound vibration - Miraval Resort and Spa in Tucson, AZ introduced the TAIZ SensoriumTM a specially designed flax seed filled chair to massage from the inside out. The treatment incorporates music, base rhythms and sounds from nature to create vibrations that massage deeply into your body. It's designed to calm the nervous system and promote healthy sleep patterns.
- Acupuncture that melts tension - Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Tallebudgera Valley, Queensland, Australia formulated their Rockupuncture treatment to aid those dealing with stress, adrenal exhaustion, fertility issues and insomnia. The application of warm stones allows muscles to relax so acupuncture can be performed to balance energy meridians.
A full description list of the treatments offered at the 2011 ISPA Media Event is available online.
About the International SPA Association
ISPA is recognized worldwide as the leading professional organization and voice of the global spa industry by providing invaluable educational and networking opportunities to foster professionalism and growth. More details on ISPA are available on experienceispa.com.