The Hair Stylist performs professional cuts, styles, chemical services and therapeutic hair and scalp treatments. They must possess and maintain knowledge of current hairstyles and trends. They must possess excellent cleanliness and sanitation skills and be willing to train in our spa’s specific hair and scalp service offerings (IF APPLICABLE). They must possess excellent communication skills and be able to learn the product and service knowledge necessary to effectively provide beauty solutions to meet the needs of our guests. They must hold and maintain a current state license.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be on time for shift, prompt with each appointment and perform services within the appropriate time allotted for the service.
- Maintain consistent, regular attendance record.
- Properly open and close each shift according to Standard Operating Procedures;
- Provide consistent professional hair treatments in accordance with spa protocols and accepted certification practices.
- Be flexible with schedule, supporting the needs of the spa.
- Properly care for equipment and use proper amounts of product to assist with cost controls.
- Have complete knowledge and understanding of all services and products while educating and training guests in these areas.
- Maintain knowledge of current fashion trends and styles.
- Actively promote home care programs, meeting minimum retail sales goals.
- Develop professional and personalized relationship with regular guests.
- Uphold the standards of sanitation and sterilization as directed by law and the spa’s policies and procedures.
- Perform prep work and properly clean and restock work area as required.
- Ensure adequate stock of supplies and equipment; inform management when stock is low.
- Communicate to management any and all occurrences involving staff or guests in the spa or salon that require attention.
- Maintain complete confidentiality in all guest matters in accordance with company policy;
- Actively promote the spa, treatments, services, sessions and retail, as well as programs, promotions and/or discounts available.
- Handle guest’s questions and concerns professionally and courteously.
- Provide accurate, appropriate and immediate responses to all requests by guests ensuring complete guest satisfaction.
- Utilize spa computers with skill and proficiency; document guest information in electronic record as directed.
- Answer the phone promptly and use the guest’s name throughout the phone conversation; operate phone system accurately and efficiently.
- Possess ability to work without direct supervision.
- Maintain a positive attitude and contribute toward a quality work environment.
- Regularly attend, participate in and support training and staff meetings for the spa.
- Assist in all areas of spa operation as requested by management.
- Must have enthusiasm and possess excellent customer service skills.
- Enjoy working with people and possess a friendly and outgoing personality.
- Excellent communication and listening skills, as well as basic computer knowledge.
- Must be a team player.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Must hold and maintain a <Current State> cosmetology license
- Minimum of «insert your spas experience requirements here»
- «insert any other requirements here»
- Excellent command of the English language in communicating both verbally and non-verbally
- Ability to prepare/write educational materials for guests
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, employees, members and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, fractions and decimals
- Ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions in written, oral or diagram format
- Ability to handle conflicting ideas and controversies around nutrition and communicated information diplomatically
- Must be able to show initiative in job performance, including anticipating what needs to be done before it becomes necessary
- Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure
- Must display good listening skills to understand and clarify concerns and issues raised by guests and fellow team members
The Physical demands described here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk use hand to write on chart, talk, hear, see, taste, smell, type on keyboard
- Perform the duties of a hair stylist which requires standing, pushing, pulling, manual dexterity and proper ergonomic posture
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move 20 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required include distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision
The work environment characteristics described here represent those that an employee may be exposed to while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employee will perform most tasks in salon environment
- The noise level in the environment is moderate to loud
*Note* All duties and requirements stated are essential job functions. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the staff occupying this position. Staff members may be required to perform other job-related duties by their supervisor.
«insert COMPANY NAME here» is an “at will” employer.
I have thoroughly reviewed and understand the responsibilities and expectations of this job description.
Staff Signature: ________________________________________ Date: ____________________