Basic Protection Measures
The WHO recommends the following general protection measures. Consider encouraging staff and guests to adhere to these guidelines.
- Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
- Maintain at least 3 feet (1 meter) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze, and encourage those around you to do the same.
- Stay home if you feel unwell. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and call in advance.
- Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19.
What Should Your Business Do Now?
- Evaluate the cleaning frequency within treatment rooms and communal spaces and increase frequency if needed.
- Post signage reminding employees about hygiene standards (i.e. hand washing, wiping down equipment after use, covering coughs, etc.) and have the messaging posted in a visible spot for guests to see as well to generate awareness.
- Communicate reminders to guests and/or employees to wipe down fitness equipment before and after each use.
- Develop a plan for how to handle a health emergency including:
- Location of nearest medical facility. Identify a quarantine room/space in the event that it is needed.
- Identify an emergency plan on how to handle a situation if a guest or employee tests positive for COVID-19.
- Identify a communications/public relations plan on how to respond to a situation if a guest or employee tests positive for COVID-19.
- See the CDC Interim Guidelines for Employers and Businesses to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 for more details.