Professional association conferences often pose quite a dilemma for business owners and managers. "Why should I go? What will I get out of it"? Important questions, particularly if your budget is tight, if you are a young business trying to get established or there are other items higher on your priority list.
However, passing on the opportunity to attend a professional conference is almost always the wrong decision. Technology may have made the world smaller and social media may help get your message out, but there is nothing quite like face-to-face communication with industry peers.
Conferences, particularly in the spa industry where participants are spread over a very wide geographical area, are a great way to make real contacts, learn about new products and develop growth ideas for your own business. No matter how confident you are in your own abilities, there is always something to take home from a conference that will improve your business.
So what are the top five reasons for going to a conference? Everyone has a different reason for going, but here are our top considerations:
- Learn: It’s impossible to know too much about your business and your industry – but it is perfectly possible to know too little! Conferences are an unrivaled learning experience.
- Network: Networking is not only about meeting other people – it’s about putting your own face forward and representing your business. Networks have many uses, not least of which is finding experienced people with whom ideas and advice can be shared.
- Discover: Products and technology are always changing, and nobody can afford to remain unaware of the latest developments. A conference allows a business owner to get an update on the latest innovations, try out new products and be better informed to make those crucial investment decisions.
- Achieve: Experienced professionals make plans for a conference; they don’t just turn up hoping something will happen. A major benefit from a conference comes from executing follow-up communication plans for all of those business cards you will collect – it is also a great business habit that will achieve an immediate return on investment.
- Enjoy: Running your own business and rewarding hard-working staff is not easy. Attending conferences allow businesses to fully engage staff, improve retention and continued professional development. Apart from anything else, it’s a fun way to spend a few days!
Building a business does not happen by itself. Owners and managers need to invest time in their staff, in their business and in their industry to turn a good idea into something with real long-term earning potential. Conferences are a great way to help achieve all three of those goals.
Finally, it is very important to plan in advance. You’ll get the most out of your investment and save money! This year’s ISPA Conference & Expo runs from October 19 – 21 at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, NV. Visit attendISPA.com for registration, hotel and travel information, VIP access passes and more!
We can’t wait to see you there!