EDUCATION AND OUTREACH
The ISPA Foundation believes spas are a critical resource in our goal to expand the health and well-being of people everywhere. The rejuvenating and restorative results spa professionals provide make a difference in the quality of people's lives.
A primary component in enhancing the role of spas is to educate spa professionals in a consistent, formalized and accredited manner. By making each individual spa professional stronger - and by recruiting others into the spa profession - the entire industry becomes stronger.
To that end, the ISPA Foundation has begun the process of instituting a full-fledged spa management curriculum for institutions of higher learning, several of which have already adopted the introductory text for use in a comprehensive spa management course.
Tools and textbooks created by the Foundation include:
- The Certified Spa Supervisor program
- Code of Conduct - available in four languages
- The Compensation Workbook
- Financial Management for Spas textbook
- Retail Management for Spas textbook
- Risk Management e-learning program
- Spa: A Comprehensive Introduction
- Supervisory Skills Builders Workbooks for the Certified Spa Supervisor
- Uniform System of Financial Reporting for Spas
2013 Mary Tabacchi Scholarship
Application period - March 1 - April 30, 2013
The Mary H. Tabacchi Scholarship was created in 2006 and named in honor of Mary Tabacchi, Ph.D., RD, Associate Professor, Hospitality Facilities and Operations at Cornell University. Dr. Tabacchi is a spa industry veteran and pioneer in spa education.
The ISPA Foundation's Mary Tabacchi Scholarship will be awarded to a junior, senior or grad student enrolled full-time in a bachelor's or master's program of a related discipline, i.e. business, health science, hospitality or spa management, and is pursuing a spa management/spa leadership-related career. The recipient will receive $5,000 USD to offset his/her education expenses, a complimentary registration, travel stipend and hotel accommodations to attend the 2013 ISPA Conference & Expo, a one-year ISPA student membership (valued at $130 USD) and will be assigned a one-year mentor.
A donation form is located below If you would like to contribute to the Mary Tabacchi Scholarship Fund.
Please carefully review the eligibility requirements as many of the prerequisites have changed. A selection committee will review applications based on the following criteria:
1. will be a junior, senior or grad student in the upcoming school year and enrolled full-time in a bachelor's or master's program of a related discipline, i.e. business, health science, hospitality or spa management, and pursuing a spa management/spa leadership-related career. Please note: seniors applying for this scholarship must be enrolled in classes for the fall 2013 semester to be eligible;
2. has completed or is enrolled in courses with a strong emphasis in business or science curriculum such as exercise physiology or biology;
3. has a minimum GPA (or international equivalent) of 3.0;
4. has completed or plans to complete a spa-related internship/externship. Please note: completion of a spa-related internship/externship is recommended but not required for eligibility;
5. is involved in on- or off-campus spa-related organizations or clubs and demonstrates leadership roles held in such organizations or clubs, and
6. submits the following required materials no later than April 30, 2013:
a. a completed scholarship application including detailed responses to Section 3 Essay Questions;
b. original college transcripts that include evidence of courses taken and current GPA (or international equivalent);
c. two reference letters, and
d. a professional resume.
ABOUT MARY TABACCHI
Mary H. Tabacchi, Ph.D., R.D., is an associate professor with tenure at the School of Hotel Administration at Cornell University. Dr. Tabacchi began teaching at Cornell University in 1972 as a visiting assistant professor in the division of nutritional sciences. Her Ph.D. is in Biochemical Nutrition, Biostatistics. She is a well-respected author and researcher, having published numerous papers and books on nutrition, spa and other related subjects, as well as extensive research on the spa industry. Her reach has expanded the globe, through research, education and consulting projects in Europe, Asia and North America. Dr. Tabacchi has served on the International SPA Association Board of Directors, past president of the ISPA Foundation and numerous spa and spa-related advisory boards and committees.